If you know the standard shower curtain size, you can improve the function of the bathroom while boosting its appearance at the same. Choosing a too small (or too short) or too big curtain size could actually be frustrating. Not only it affects the look and appearance of the room, but it poses great hazard too.
If it gets too small, water splashes will happen all over the place, making your bathroom slippery and wet. If it gets too big, the curtain can be a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and mold. You need to plan out carefully before improving or updating the shower curtain – as well as knowing how to measure it correctly.
Typical Standard Shower Curtain Size
So, what is the typical and standard shower curtain size? Basically, the standard size is based on the regular and average shower stalls and bath tubs. Here are the most common 3 sizes:
- The 70 x 70 inches
- The 70 x 72 inches
- The 72 x 72 inches
The latter one, 72 x 72 inches, is the most popular one
This measurement is considered the best for in-set tub – or a tub and a shower combined together. You probably have seen a bath tub with a shower installation overhead, giving you the freedom to take a shower or soak yourself in the tub.
Well, this curtain size is considered the best because it doesn’t have to go excessively long – in a floor-sweeping manner. This curtain is long enough to cover the bathing area up to the leg (or the bottom part) of the tub.
This measurement, however, won’t be perfect for walk-in-shower. In the walk-in-shower, you have an area completely dedicated for the shower – without any tub at all. Because of this construction, you will need the extra super long curtain, usually in the length of 78 inches. You need the long one because you want the shower section to be completely closed or covered. You want to make sure that water splashes won’t escape the shower area, which can make other areas wet and slippery.
Shower Curtain Chart
There is actually the standard shower curtain size chart and average size chart for the shower curtain, if you want to do your research carefully and thoroughly. Again, the length and width of the shower curtain depends on the type of shower area you have. Whether you have a completely dedicated shower area or you have a shower and a tub, it will determine the right size of the curtain.
Basically, you should be able to do the estimation on your own. Besides consulting the standard shower curtain size chart, it is also advisable to double measure the shower area, just to make sure. Here are the lists of measurements based on the width by length:
- 72 inches in width x 72 inches in length. This is the most popular size for the standard shower
- 84 inches in width x 74 inches in length. This is for extra wide tub
- 54 inches in width x 78 inches in length. This is the common size for shower stall
- 70 inches in width x 84 inches in length. This is applicable for extra tall shower area
- 72 inches in width x 96 inches in length. This is especially for floor to ceiling shower
Shower Curtain Liner Size
Shower curtain liner has two major functions. One, it helps to keep the water remain in the shower tub or shower stall. The liner will protect the floor – keeping the water only within the shower area. Two, the liner is also functional to protect the curtain. Thanks to the liner, the curtain remain dry. It prolong the use and function.
What about the size? Well, the size of the liner is basically just the same as the size of your curtain. If you already know the standard shower curtain size or you know the details of your curtain, then go with the same size of liner.
The question is now: what kind of liner do you need? There are different types of liner, based on the materials:
- PVC or Vinyl Liners. PVC has a pretty good water resistant quality, which is helpful to make the water stay in its place. Not to mention that it is pretty inexpensive too. However, the cheap ones are often dangerous because they emit dangerous chemicals. If you smell a strange odor after the installation, then it comes from the PVC.
- EVA and PEVA Liners. This is a great alternative to PVC. Unlike PVC, these liners are eco-friendly as they don’t contain dangerous chemicals and they are free from chlorine. However, you will have to spend extra with them
- Fabric Liner. This is the most popular one because of the aesthetic aspect. Not only this curtain is beautiful, but it also comes with impressive water repellent quality. Feel free to reuse and wash it. However, you have to wash it regularly to prevent mildew and mold growth – because of the fabric factor. Fabric can’t last forever either.
Dimensions of Shower Curtain
You will have to measure your standard shower curtain size to know the exact dimension. First of all, measure the width with wall-to-wall method. And then add 12 inches to the result, so the curtain can still create folds even when it is fully closed. For the length, start from the rod to the floor. Then, subtract it by 10 inches so it won’t drape on the floor.
Average Size of Shower Curtain
As it was mentioned before, there are some standard shower curtain size to use – provided that you have a shower area built with standard sizing too. But it is always advisable that you take the measurement on your own in case you aren’t really familiar with your own shower area.
In short, you need to make time to understand the overall facts about the shower area and the curtain. If you know the standard shower curtain size, not only you can enjoy the full functionality of the bathroom, but you be able to also improve the appearance.